General Legal Sites
last revised October 26th, 2012
- Abbreviations of Legal Publications (Monash Univ.)
- Cardiff Index to Legal Abbreviations
- Cornell Legal Information Institute Includes Wex, a "collaboratively built, freely available legal dictionary and encyclopedia."
- FindACase.com: a free version of the VersusLaw service, with the same coverage and the same search language as VersusLaw, displaying results in full text but without citations.
- Giveaway Legal Forms: Searchable and browsable database of forms and clauses.
- Google Scholar: select "legal opinions and journals" (or, on the Advanced Search page scroll down to select for searching a particular state's court opinions, or only federal court opinions.) Includes state case law from 1950 forward and federal case law from 1923 forward,
- Guide to Law Online (Law Library of Congress)
- Hieros Gamos
- Internet Law Library (LawGuru.com)
- Internet Legal Resource Group
- Jurist (at Univ.of Pittsburgh) A very current source for legal news, with links to court rulings and other documents; topical pages; and commentaries by law professors.
- LawCite (under development at Australian Legal Information Institute): a citator for cases and law journal articles.
- Law.com Quest. A searchable database of items in the "law.com network" (IncisiveMedia publications, with full-text access for subscribers only) and in the "legal web" (law firm websites and legal blogs).
- Legally Minded: an online community for the legal professions, hosted by the American Bar Association.
- lexisONE "Free Case Law" tab provides access to all U.S. Supreme Court cases, last ten years worth of U.S. Courts of Appeals cases, and last ten years worth of state supreme and appellate court cases. Searchable using standard Lexis connectors and segments, and browsable by court and date. Includes Zimmerman's Research Guide:An Online Encyclopedia for Legal Researchers by Andrew Zimmerman.
- Oxford Standard for Citation of Legal Authorities (OSCOLA). And see Citing the law (tutorial by Cathie Jackson and Ian Bradley at Cardiff University).
- The Public Library of Law, portal to free sources of case law, statutes, court rules, regulations, and forms.
- Research Legal Information (LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell) Layperson-oriented compilation of information on various legal topics.
- The Virtual Chase by GenieTyburski (including Legal Research )
- Washlaw Web (Washburn Univ.)